The main function of the tonsils, located on the back-side of the throat, is to safeguard our body against infections. Tonsilitis refers to the infection of the tonsils, which is prevalent among children but can happen at any age. Tonsilitis can be very inconvenient to children since it causes them to miss their schools, affecting their studies. So, if any of your children show symptoms of tonsilitis, take them to a reputed Pediatric Hospital in NCR Delhi for a checkup and complete treatment.
Symptoms of tonsilitis commonly experienced by children
- A sore throat
- Pain or difficulty during swallowing
- Changes in the voice
- Bad breath
- Tonsils appear to be red and swollen
- Yellow or white spots on tonsils
The three types of tonsilitis
- Acute - where symptoms are present for about ten days
- Recurrent in which the condition recurs at least 5 to 7 times in a year
- Chronic where symptoms remain for a longer period than during acute tonsilitis
Reasons why tonsillitis occurs
Generally, common viruses are the main cause of tonsilitis, but bacteria can also lead to the condition in some cases. Streptococcus bacteria are known to cause the condition generally. Common viruses include enterovirus, influenza virus, adenovirus, and Herpes-Simplex virus. By visiting one of the Top Doctors in Ghaziabad, you can get an accurate diagnosis of your child’s tonsilitis.
Risk factors leading to tonsilitis
- Very small kids are prone to tonsilitis caused by viruses. Children who are between 5 to 15 years of age are more vulnerable to tonsilitis caused by bacteria.
- Older adults are also likely to get tonsillitis
- Children who study in schools easily get infected with tonsillitis from other kids
- Studies reveal that genetics may play a role in recurrent tonsillitis. It leads to a weakened immune response to streptococcus bacteria
Treatment methods for tonsilitis
- If your child has a mild case of tonsilitis caused by a virus, no treatment will be necessary
What your doctor may recommend doing during a mild case of tonsilitis:
- Take sufficient rest
- Drink enough of warm fluids to relieve your throat pain
- Use salt-water to gargle
- Chew lozenges to get pain relief
- In severe cases, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics like penicillin. However, though antibiotics may cause symptoms to disappear quickly, they also can cause antibiotic resistance. It is also vital that you complete the full course of antibiotics, or your infection may worsen
- Tonsillectomy is a procedure used in severe cases, whereby the surgeon removes the tonsils. Doctors mostly follow it in when the person has recurrent or chronic tonsillitis, and symptoms do not show improvement. It also relieves issues like swallowing difficulty or breathing problems caused by tonsilitis
If your child has tonsilitis, the best step you could take is to get an appointment at Santosh Hospital, the Best Children Hospital in Ghaziabad. The hospital is well-known for providing world-class medical care at very affordable rates to patients. They have an impressive team of child specialists who use state of the art equipment and diagnostic methods to treat tonsilitis in children. With their expert healthcare, the doctors ensure that children receive the best treatment enabling them to recover quickly and resume their studies.