Care after a Cataract Operation
A person may observe blurry sight in one of their eyes or sometimes in both eyes which leads to a condition named cataract. This blurry sight is caused when the natural lens of the eye becomes cloudy or opaque. It may be due to some underlying disease or due to age.
To rectify the problem, the patient needs to undergo a cataract operation where the natural lens is replaced with an artificial clear lens. This surgery is the most common and quickest eye surgery when performed by a skilled surgeon.
A cataract operation comes with a high success rate which also improves the overall eyesight of the patient. Within a few hours of operation, a person can observe the sensation of sight in their eyes. However, it takes a few days for complete recovery.
Preventive Measures for Post-Cataract Surgery
Cataract Operation is not enough to recover your lost sight. You need to follow some measures to take care of your eyes after the surgery. It is necessary to follow these preventive measures to resist infections. Proper care is essential to recover as soon as possible.
- It is necessary to protect your eyes from any casual injury and dust. We advise wearing protection glass or sunglasses immediately after your operation.
- You should wear eyeglasses for a month during the day-time and for about a week during the night time also.
- Clean your eyewear with soap and water every day and dry them thoroughly before wearing to prevent infection.
Eye Washing Technique
- Before washing your eyes, clean your hands with soap and water, and pat them dry with a towel.
- Boil water and cool it to clean your operated eyes. Using a cotton ball, clean the margins of your eyes while swiping the cotton from the inner corner to the outer corner of the eyes.
- Wipe the upper eyelids along with the sticky discharge from the eye.
- Follow these steps twice daily to maintain good hygiene of the operated eyes.
- Ensure that you don't wipe your open eyes.
- Make sure not to press the eyes.
- Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, given to prevent infection and inflammation in the operated eye.
- We advise taking oral antibiotics and other medicines prescribed.
- Use eye drops as prescribed by your ophthalmologist.
Some other Preventive Measures
- Avoid touching your eyes. It may irritate your eyes, and lead to infection.
- Do not use eye cosmetics until complete recovery of your eyes.
- Do not perform stressful physical activities.
- Ensure not to strain your eyes.
- Avoid using soap to wash your face as it can harm operated eyes.
- You can take a shower, but avoid washing your head for three to four weeks.
- Avoid too many visitors at your place to prevent infection.
- We advise about avoiding driving.
Symptoms To Watch Out After a Cataract Operation
Several conditions are usual after a cataract operation, including watery eyes, blurred or double vision, and red eyes. However, contact your doctor (ophthalmologist) if you observe underlying conditions immediately after cataract surgery:
- Blackout or loss of vision
- Multiple flashing light spots floating in the eyes
- Severe pain in the eyes
- Intolerable coughing or sneezing
- Experiencing nausea and vomiting
- Poor vision
After undergoing eye surgery, it is necessary to take care of your eyes to prevent eye infections and minimize the side effects at the earliest. Keep following the routine mentioned by your doctor.
Keeping in mind the best for their patients, Santosh Hospital is the best ophthalmology hospital in Ghaziabad with a highly professional team of eye surgeons. If you are looking for safe cataract surgery with easy recovery, you can rely on Santosh Hospital which is the best eye hospital in Ghaziabad.